Sunday 6 May 2007

What's a Girl to do?

I’ve been a bit bored the last couple of days, at a loose end I suppose. Usually my diary is packed with things but there’s nothing in it for the whole of this week. Or next week. Then I remembered why....I’m meant to be in Mauritius.

I went down to see Max, my friend who owns the café on the corner. I really went for a bit of a chat but the place was busy and Max was buzzing from table to table like a little bumble bee with a big smile. He let me sit at the corner table though, and threw in a free coffee for me, which cheered me up a bit.

I half-wondered if he’d offer me my job back- it doesn’t matter that it years ago, I could do it standing on my head! I was almost considering asking him, subtly of course, when a large, buxom blonde with a squeaky voice appeared out of the kitchen with a tray of doughnuts for the window.

That answered that then.

Had a browse through the job section in the local paper but became more disillusioned by the minute. Everything requires experience and references and qualifications. Apparently you need a degree just to be a rocket scientist.

I thought I’d better look as if I was being productive, at least, and started to make a list of the jobs I’d had. The list wasn’t going to be long. It was so long ago that I worked in the shop; I can’t even remember what year that was. Then there was the café job; that was a bit dodgy back then, what with being paid cash under the table.

I don’t have much to add to my CV then, other than the nanny jobs I’ve done. And somehow, when I’m trying to put a really shit-hot CV together, ‘nannying’ doesn’t really cut it.

A smartly-dressed woman came in to get a ‘latte to go’ and I realised it was my old doctor. Haven’t seen her for years. I should have been a doctor or something. Something with a career, something important and guaranteed to always be needed, then I wouldn’t be in this predicament.


I wondered, wistfully, what it would be like to be needed, to be valued and to know that I could walk into a job anywhere.

I suddenly don’t feel very useful.

1 comment:

Bobkat said...

Everybody is useful in some way. You just have to find your new niche, but it is out there! It sound slike you have plenty of experience. Try not to think of them as just jobs but look at the skills you used and developed in them - such as organising, dealing with customers etc. That way you will see that you have skills taht are transferable to other jobs :) Hope this helps. You sound a bit down so i wnated to say something constructive and positive.

Thanks for popping by my blog. I'm glad you liked my photos. As to your question. I am not sure what I like to photograph most. It really does depend on my mood, but I like things that feel organic and I also like things with caharcter, texture and colour. I need to feel inspired by the subject :)