Thursday 26 April 2007

Thursday Thirteen 1



Thirteen Things about Why I Knew It Wouldn't Last




1…..... We met through a friend. We were both visiting her in hospital after her appendix operation. I arrived with a new pair of warm, fluffy slippers (I knew she’d lost hers), magazines and flowers. He arrived at the same time, with a box of fudge for her which he proceeded to munch through while telling us about his appendix problems years ago.

2..... An hour into the appendix story, he finally got around to telling us it had actually been wind and proceeded to demonstrate it. He still hadn’t asked our friend how she was.

3..... He spent the next three months bombarding me with phone calls, telling me he wanted to date me. Get this- he wasn’t ‘asking me out on a date’, he was just telling me that he ‘wanted to date me, but he was checking his position’. Checking out the other women walking by first, more like it.

4..... I finally agreed to have a drink with him….to get him off my back. He took to a wine-bar where, I discovered later, his ex-wife was working. He got hideously plastered and spent the whole evening telling me how much he loves tall brunettes. I’m small and blonde. You’ll know what she was. I left after an hour.

5..... The first night I met him, he told me he had just got his pilot’s licence and that he spent most Saturdays flying. Months later, I kept asking him to take me flying and couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t. I thought he might be having an affair, so one day I followed him. He spent the whole day sitting on a station platform with his binoculars, notebook and a soggy sandwich. He wasn’t a pilot at all ; he was a train-spotter.

6..... Our first row happened when I refused to ‘iron his underwear’. He sent them out to the laundry to be ironed instead.

7..... He wore white socks with sandals in the summer. Short, ankle length white socks with his initials ‘V.N.C.S.’ embroidered in purple thread across the back.

8.....We went to the Bahamas for two weeks in July last year. The second day we were there, he stubbed his toe (the one with the in growing toe-nail) and hopped around like a baby for the rest of the day. The third day, he said he was too injured to go to the beach and spent the rest of the 11 days lying on a lounger on the hotel balcony. By the fourth day, I’d lost my patience. I spent the rest of the trip on the beach. Fabulous!

9..... He cried when Suddam Hussein was hung. Yet when his cat was run over the following week, he called me home from the dentist, telling me I had to take it to the vet because he was going to play golf.

10..... At first, I loved how good-looking he was but my feelings soon changed. I couldn’t stand the amount of time he spent checking himself in the mirror.

11..... He said he didn’t want me to meet his daughter because, not having kids of my own, I’d find her ‘difficult’. Then one day, by sheer accident, I did meet her and we clicked. The closer I became to her, the more jealous he became. He said ‘Why do you bother with her? I should be more important to you’…..She was six years old, by the way.

12..... I only discovered what his first initial –V- stood for when, just before we broke up, I read a letter that he’d kept from an ex. It’s Valvanus. Yes, that’s what I said.

13..... There were so many nights I lay beside him in bed wondering...........
Is this who I want to be with?




Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1.Susan Helene Gottfried!
2.(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!).


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



7 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Where'd all your comments go?

~Alexandra's Friend~ said...

I don't know!!....and you left such a great one too. :(

Sunny Ellis said...

And it sounds like you got away better off. Stay strong.

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

Stephanie said...

Wow. Now that's a list. Makes me appreciate being married just a little bit more!!

dawnae said...

Been through that....a guy too good looking always makes me run...(that is before I got married). It was my first T13 today too! http://niftynicholsonnews@blogspot.com

Tawnya Shields said...

Thank you for the visit to my T13.


It is tough when we have to go through some frogs before we meet our Prince.

Hang in there. :o)

Have a nice weekend.

Janet said...

Good lord...and you miss this person why???