Sunday 22 April 2007

Life is what happens.....

Three days ago I was in Harrods, trying on a pair of tiny size 3 Kurt Geiger gold leather sandals (a mere snip at £199.00) and my cell phone rang.




Guessing it was DH, my wonderful, tender, funny, loving and full-of-surprises man (did I tell you about the time he hid a pair of Tiffany lace drop earrings in a bowl of ice-cream for me?) who was whisking me off for two weeks in Mauritius; I shoved my bag under the seat and tried to ignore it.

I was supposed to be at home baking Blueberry Muffins for his precious sister who was ‘dropping by’ in an hour, he was no doubt calling to make sure I hadn’t forgotten to plump the cushions and dust the curtain-rails first.

‘D’ya wanna get your phone?’ the assistant asked as it started ringing for the fourth time. She eyed me curiously as her clammy hand shoved my left foot in to the sandal. I winced.

No, I didn’t want to get the damn phone. I didn’t want to have to lie to him about being home baking, I didn’t want to hear about why I had to entertain his precious sister with tea and muffins when we were leaving for the airport in less than two hours, and most of all, I didn’t want anyone else buying the only pair left of Honey In Gold size 3’s, before I could.

I still had his suit to pick up from the dry cleaners, his packing to do, the insect repellent and Factor 15 to buy, the cat to take next door to Mrs Ferman to look after, the Blueberry Muffins to make; and he’d invited his sister to ‘pop in’ at 3.00?!!

I was getting the Damn Sandals.

The most beautiful pair of sandals I’ve ever gazed down at and one heavily-used Charge Card later, I’m pushing my way through the throng in Cosmetics and Skin Care on my way to the Food Hall in a desperate search for Blueberry Muffins, when I remember to check my messages.

"I think we need A Break", he said.

Life is what happens when you’re busy buying shoes.

No comments: